Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Genie They Call Jesus

Hello! (To myself I guess... since... no one read this.. haha)

Wow, almost a month since my last post. Guess that says something about the crazyness of my life.

I've been thinking a lot about God, and who He is, and what I am to Him, and just how well do we get along. We just had an amazing week of prayer, and while I'm sad it's over, it couldn't have come at a more perfect time.

You know how your going and going, oblivious to the changing of time, until suddenly your sitting around one day wondering... "what's the point?" This day to day grind can really get the best of you if you don't put things in perspective. And you know what can give you a really good perspective? Reality TV. Hear me out...

I've watched my fair share of the nonsense they broadcast on television, labeling it reality when it's anything but. In my viewing, I've realized that there is nothing attractive about a crazy, promiscuous, do whatever you want because who cares anyway, lifestyle. Everything is so twisted, and any conversation you have literally makes no sense without some spiritual or religious aspect in it. I was watching Keeping up with the Kardashians (Don't ask.), and one of the sisters had just spent the night with her little brother's best friend. When the other sister asked about it, and she lied, the sister said "Say Bible, say Bible.. say Bible!" I laughed out loud, because I was wondering, what in the world. Do you guys even own a Bible, or know what's in the Bible? I just thought that was interesting...

Then on the VMA's, after a particularly frightening performance (which included blood, screeching and hanging from a rope), Lady Gaga won an award for best ... breakthrough artist or something like that. At the end of her acceptance speech she said "This is for the gays, God and the fans." Wow.

I don't want to judge anyone. I'm not perfect, very far from it in fact. But doesn't it seem wrong to use God like that? To do what you want, live for your own gratification and pleasure, and when it's convenient you invoke God's name? Like He's some kind of genie or ... a well placed adjective? It's pretty sad.

Well, I'm off to class. :)

No comments: